The digital world is constantly evolving and looking to implement more efficient processes and technology to streamline functionality and assist users. The Joomla content management system (CMS) is no different. 2012 has seen the launch of Joomla 2.5, the new and improved CMS.
For all those on older versions of the Joomla system, don’t panic. These systems are constantly being refined and new versions released, so it will take some time for everyone to catch up. However, if you are contemplating upgrading Joomla this article aims to give you an overview of the benefits and features on offer from Joomla 2.5.
First and foremost, Joomla 2.5 aims to simplify and facilitate the installation and upgrades management process, so as to allow users to optimise on all the latest security benefits.
There are a whole host of new features that come with the Joomla upgrade, but here are some of the more notable ones:
- Automated update notifications - You can now view quick update buttons in the administrative panel, showing you if you are up-to-date with all the latest joomla upgrades and allowing you to quickly and easily rectify the situation if not.
- Enhanced filtering options - Joomla users can now filter by category from within the article manager to facilitate document location in the back-end.
- Advanced smart search - Supporting improved user experience and searching capabilities, this new feature enhances the functionality of search on your site for your visitors. Smart search allows for auto-completion, stemming and the location of associated and relevant content on your site.
- Multiple database support - This feature extends the range of databases that can now use the Joomla CMS.
- Improved image uploading - Users can now select multiple images at one time to upload to Joomla rather than having to upload each one individually as before.
- JGrid - This HTML generator feature saves developers from having to create their own table layouts, thus saving significant time during the coding process.
- Menu item note - A simple new feature that allows for better organisation of the back-end and means users can enter details of why and how a menu was set up so that others can better understand the approach taken.
These are just a selection of the new features brought in by the Joomla upgrade, but they demonstrate how the new system aims to enhance administration and management of the CMS going forward.
After Digital is one of the UK’s leading Joomla agencies, having delivered countless digital solutions and tailored results implementing this content management system for our clients across sectors. We offer a full range of digital services from initial build through to third-party integration and Joomla upgrades. You can view some examples of our projects built on the Joomla platform in our Work section.
If you have any questions about upgrading Joomla or any other CMS please do not hesitate to contact us.