The Royal Highland Show is Scotland’s annual farming and countryside showcase organised by the Royal Highland and Agricultural Society of Scotland.
Every year, thousands of people flock to the Royal Highland Centre in Ingliston to see, taste and experience the very best in farming, food and rural life. The event showcases thousands of livestock, equestrian shows, forestry events and cooking demonstrations and is a great day out with something for all the family. Held at the Royal Highland Show every June, we highly recommend a visit!
Visitors in 2014
Estimated economic impact
Anniversary in 2015
Having worked with the Royal Highland and Agricultural Society of Scotland (RHASS) over the last few years, we were delighted to be selected for the redesign and development of the suite of websites for their core website and three sub-brands including the Royal Highland Centre (RHC), the Royal Highland Education Trust (RHET) and the Royal Highland Show (RHS).
With almost 180,000 visitors and an estimated economic impact of £47m in 2014, the Royal Highland Show wanted to attract even more visitors in 2015, tying in with Scotland’s Year of Food and Drink and the show’s 175th anniversary.
- Appeal to a wide range of target audiences inclusive of the general public / show attendees, trade exhibitors, competitors, the media and sponsors.
- Use clear terminology and be easy to navigate with a focus on user experience allowing each target audience to locate the required information with ease.
- Be built on a modern and sophisticated CMS platform with the ability to schedule content prior to the busiest periods of the year.
- Integration with key social media channels inclusive of Facebook, Twitter and other applicable social media sources providing a view of the social media interaction ‘as it happens’.
- Visually attractive modern design portraying the Royal Highland Show brand.
- Cater to an international audience with the ability to view content in multiple languages.
- Include key CTA’s on the homepage including ‘Buy Tickets’ and ‘Sponsorship Opportunities’.
- Be fully responsive allowing visitors to browse the site with ease whilst at the Royal Highland Show.
- Encourage sign-ups to build up database for future marketing efforts.
From our initial discovery sessions it was identified the best solution was to develop an overall theme which would act as a collective element for all sites in the Royal Highland Suite whilst individual bespoke elements would be crafted for each site, giving each it’s own identity.
Wireframing & UX Design
With a number of different audiences likely to be visiting the site, it was essential for the site to be visually appealing and capture the attention of all website users. As such, our UX experts mapped out key user journeys allowing for intuitive navigation to be developed guiding visitors through the site seamlessly. In addition to this, an intelligent search function was developed for each group of users to delve deeper into the site and locate additional information more relevant to them.
Made up of high-quality imagery, the homepage also features an auto-scrolling image carousel depicting the wide range of events and activities on offer at the show.
With a focus on the ability to update the site with ease (and often last minute by a number of team members with varying skillsets), the website was built simplistically with a number of bespoke elements to enhance the user experience.
With a desire to cater to an international audience, our development team integrated translating functionality meaning the site is available in English, Spanish, French, German and Polish. As 2015 is Scotland’s Year of Food and Drink, key aims were to attract a wider audience from around the globe and this international function made all this possible.
To engage visitors with other channels, key social integration plugins were also developed allowing for website content to be promoted across other channels and increase engagement with the brand.
The first to launch in the Royal Highland suite, we are absolutely delighted with the Royal Highland Show and can’t wait to unveil the next in the suite - The Royal Highland Centre. We are excited to continue the ongoing partnership with the Royal Highland Show and you can check out the final masterpiece here.